Next admission round:
- 2 years (24 months)
Start of the program:
Level of entry:
Presentation: Master of Science in Organizational Leadership - Sports Leadership Concentration
Studying Organizational Leadership with a concentration in Sports Leadership prepares you for a career in scholastic, collegiate or professional sports settings. According to the Sports Business Journal, the sports industry is one of the fastest-growing industries in the United States with nearly $250 billion in revenue annually. This program educates you on the theories and best practices of sports leadership-knowledge that will help you prepare for your new career or improve your position with your current employer.
Graduates of the Master of Science in Organizational Leadership - Sports Leadership graduate program will be able to:
- Establish direction by creating a vision and setting strategies.
- Align people by communicating, seeking commitment and building teams.
- Motivate and inspire others by identifying and satisfying their unmet needs.
- Provide the day-to-day leadership needs of athletic teams and organizations.
In addition to core coursework focused on strategic planning, team building, and leadership, students will have the opportunity to explore with 12 credits of sports-industry-specific coursework dealing with topics such as management, development, law and professional skills.
Qualifications/expertise after completing the program
The Organizational Leadership faculty has developed seven broad-based learning outcomes that serve as the framework for the program's curriculum. Upon completion of the Organizational Leadership program, graduates will be able to:
1. Consistently demonstrate exemplary written and oral communication, interpersonal and presentation skills.
2. Distinguish contemporary leadership theories and models; articulate a personal leadership philosophy; and apply appropriate models to an organizational setting.
3. Assess the characteristics of self, others, groups and organizations as an integral part of the process of leadership.
4. Demonstrate personal ethical and professional standards; apply standards to the organizational setting.
5. Reflect on and assess communication-based skills required for effective participation in organizational life.
6. Apply basic financial and budgeting techniques in an organizational setting.
7. Demonstrate ability to engage in independent research by applying critical thinking and inquiry skills in data gathering, synthesis, problem-solving and decision-making. Clearly these are skills useful in any organization. Employers of our program's alumni include several colleges, universities and professional sports franchises.
To be considered for admission into the Walker College's Organizational Leadership - Sports Leadership master's degree program, applicants must:
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
- International students from countries where English is not a native language must submit an official score report from the TOEFL (minimum score of 79) or IELTS (minimum score of 6.5) examination.
- Complete the appropriate graduate application.
- Submit official transcripts (in English) of all previously completed undergraduate and graduate course work.
- Submit a current resume.
- Submit a personal statement discussing both personal and professional goals.
- Arrange for the submission of three (3) letters of reference.
The Office of Graduate & Continuing Education at Mercyhurst University reviews applications for this program on a rolling basis, meaning we can quickly communicate an admissions decision to you. However, applications are reviewed by an admissions committee ONLY after ALL application materials are received, so submit supplemental items as soon as possible when applying. There is a priority application deadline of March 31. International applicants should submit their application no later than June 1.
Course cost description:
Based on a full-time Thesis Option Track of 36 credits, the Master of Science in Organizational Leadership - Sports Leadership concentration costs approximately € 12,150 per year of study for a total of €24,300. Graduate assistantships and graduate employment opportunities are available as part of a competitive selection process. Several of these positions are in support of our NCAA Division II athletic teams as either coaches or assistants to the sports information director.