Presentation: Advanced Master in Financial Markets
The Advanced Master in Financial Markets is designed to give students a much deeper understanding of financial markets than the one offered by graduate or classic post-graduate courses. It examines the connections between the different aspects of finance and the financial markets, as well as the connections between theory and practice of markets and between theory and policy making.
- Job placement rate: about 80% even before graduation.
- Ranked 1st in Belgium and in top 50 in the world in the Financial Markets masters category by Eduniversal Best Masters in the World.
The Advanced Master in Financial Markets combines:
- courses with a strong focus on how markets actually work in practice, given by an unparalleled cast of senior practitioners and regulators and of highly respected academics
- an opportunity for a 3-month internship in a top-quality institution
In which other program do you have as professors the Executive Chairman of a large London-based hedge fund, the Chief Financial Officer of a major bank, the Head of Private Banking of a leading asset manager in Belgium, the Chief Banking Regulator of the European Commission, the Head of a supervisory team at the European Central Bank, the CEO of the world's largest international securities depository, the Head of Market Risk in New York at one of the world's largest banks as well as executives of Londonbased private equity firms, former Chief Executive Officers, senior officials of the IMF and the EIB?
Who could better teach you how the financial markets actually work, drawing on their own day-today experience?
The internship is a springboard to finding job opportunities. The job placement rate is about 80% before participants even graduate. Previous internships have taken place in Belgium or abroad in institutions such as the European Commission, the European Central Bank, Belfius, BNP Paribas Fortis, ING, KBC, Degroof Petercam, Lombard Odier, Credit Suisse Zurich, all four Big 4 consulting firms, Euroclear Bank and SWIFT.
For this master, the courses will be delivered after business hours (late afternoon on weekdays and Saturdays) to allow participants to take the course in parallel with a professional activity.
This master is a full-time course (60 ECTs) that lasts one year, split over five terms. Students who do not have an economics or finance background, or want a refresher course, start mid-September with introductory courses covering the Principles of Economics and Finance.
At the end of these courses, students will perform a three-month internship in a leading financial institution. The programme coordinator helps find internship opportunities. Previous internships have taken place in Belgium or abroad in institutions such as the European Commission, the European Central Bank, Belfius, BNP Paribas Fortis, ING, KBC, Degroof Petercam, Lombard Odier, Credit Suisse Zurich, all four Big 4 consulting firms, Euroclear Bank and SWIFT.
Participants may submit a master thesis on a relevant topic as an alternative to the internship.
Full-time, evening and Saturday classes
Qualifications/expertise after completing the program
By the end of the programme you will be able to:
- Understand the financial markets much better than other graduating students or even many young professionals
- Make robust assessments of theoretical and policy-related issues, thanks to the sharing of experience of the senior practitioners and top-level academics teaching the courses
- Be more effective and more creative in your professional environment and therefore become a more accomplished performer in the financial sector, with the ability to progress faster to senior positions.
The Advanced Master in Financial Markets seeks:
- High calibre candidates with a strong academic background, and the intellectual curiosity and discipline that are necessary to succeed in a very demanding environment.
- Candidates with at least a graduate degree or equivalent in economics, management or finance, but also in other disciplines, such as law, mathematics, engineering or international relations, if willing and able to acquire basic proficiency in financial or economic matters taught as part of the program.
- Professionals already active in the financial industry, in the early phase of their career and seeking to broaden their skill range as a springboard to faster career evolution.
Eligible applicants must hold one of the following:
- Master or Master of Science Degree or equivalent (4 or 5 years of study overall)
- Bachelor Degree with 180 ECTS credits or equivalent, complemented with relevant professional experience of at least 2 years.
Admissions will be based on the candidates' academic and/or professional background, and motivation. Proficiency in English necessary.
If the review of your application is positive, an interview (at Solvay or via Skype) will be organised with the Academic Director within 2 weeks. An essay related to Finance will be requested after the interview. After receipt of your essay, the result will be communicated within 5 working days. From the date of receipt of your admission letter, you will then have two weeks to confirm your registration by paying a 2000€ deposit and signing the admission documents.
Application cost description:
Early-Bird discounts, amounting to €1.000, will be recognized to candidates who will send their applications by April 16th, 2018 (valid only for registrations confirmed within 2 weeks from receipt of the admission documents).