Next admission round:
- 2 years (24 months)
Start of the program:
Level of entry:
Presentation: Editorial interpreting and translation
NOTICE: You can apply for this Degree Programme through mastersbooking.com only if you are an international student. Here follows the categories considered:
- EU citizens and EU-equated citizens
- Non-EU citizens with an Italian residency permit
- Non-EU citizens residing in Italy with an Italian qualification
- Non-EU citizens residing outside Italy
- Italian citizens with a qualification obtained abroad
Italian citizens with Italian qualifications must follow a different procedure. For more info please visit: http://www.unive.it/pag/9791/.
ITES is a unique course in Italy offering a path that integrates translation skills, interpretation skills and a combination of Chinese to English and Chinese to Italian in the same curriculum, as well as the additional aspect of Cantonese.
You will acquire techniques and methodologies used in professional interpretation and specialised literary translation, as well as learning how to use IT tools for assisted translation.
You will tackle the most diverse linguistic-literary and socio-cultural issues with a comparative and intercultural approach, knowledge that is crucial to satisfy the demand for professional mediators in response to the exponential growth of Far Eastern economies. Possessing specialised skills in the field of interpretation and translation increases opportunities for integration into the labour market.
Throughout the course you will learn to analyse and translate sectoral, literary and editorial texts, to translate multimedia texts (websites, audio-visual, localisation etc.) You will also learn how to do liaison interpreting, consecutive and chuchotage interpreting and company visits as well as to manage complex technical professional projects. In addition to providing a wealth of technical skills, these activities aim to deepen the understanding of intercultural and interlinguistic dynamics in which you will find yourself working both professionally and academically.
Educational activities include classroom teaching, workshops and internships, in order to acquire wide-ranging skills that can be readily transferable into the world of work.
Knowledge gained by students will be assessed through written and oral exams during their entire university career.
The final exam consists in writing a thesis, which must possess the characters of originality, exhaustive documentation and scientific investigation and which will be discussed with a committee of university professors and experts.
Qualifications/expertise after completing the program
Master's degree graduates may be employed as professional interpreters, translators (on a freelance basis or for translation agencies), officials in international companies and organizations. They may be also hired in the following sectors: cross-linguistic communication, editing, multimedia. They may carry out research and teaching activities in the field of linguistics and translation.
Entry qualification: Bachelor diploma (or higher)
For Academic year 2018/19, admission onto the Master's Degree programme in Interpreting and Translation for Publishing and for Special Purposes requires:
- an adequate personal preparation;
- specific curricula requirements, matured with the obtainment of a definite number of credits in certain disciplinary fields;
- understanding of English language at level B2; the list of certifications and cases of exemption are available on the dedicated web page. Each knowledge will be verified by the office at the moment of enrolment.
Admission to the programme is subjected to the evaluation of the minimum curricular requirements and personal preparation, which is checked through the pre-evaluation procedure.
For students holding qualifications gained abroad: a minimum three-year degree is required.
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English / Italian.
You will need official translations along with verified copies of the original documents.
The official translation can be issued in the country of origin or in Italy - either by a local court of law, by court interpreters or by official translators. The entry qualification documents must also be legalised or bear the Apostille stamp certifying that the signature or seal on the document is genuine, and submitted in the original or certified copy.
You do not need to legalise the documents if:
- the qualification has been awarded by one of the signatory Countries of the European Convention of Brussels of 25 May, 1987 - Law 106/1990 (Belgium, Denmark, France, Ireland, Italy);
- the qualification has been awarded by a German institution, following the Italo-German Convention on the exemption from legalization of public documents - Law 176/1973.
You must bring the original entry qualification documents along with you when you finally go to the university.
Course cost description:
Cost of the Degree Programme :
- EU students: 2061€
- Non-EU students from OECD countries (Australia, Canada, Chile, South Korea, Japan, Iceland, Israel, Mexico, Norway, New Zealand, United States, Switzerland and Turkey): 2100€
- Non-EU students from developing countries (http://www.unive.it/): 700€
- Students from all other countries: 1200€
In addition, Ca' Foscari offers students a variety of forms of financial aid: scholarships, exemptions and reduction of fees, student loans, prizes for outstanding dissertations and other forms of concession.
Some of the student loans involve agreements with banks allowing students to pay tuition fees on favourable terms. The most deserving students are entitled to an interest-free advance repayable a year after graduation.
Students are also given the opportunity to participate in forms of student collaborations involving paid jobs within the university.