Presentation: Master of Science in Data Science
Studying Data Science prepares you for a career as a data analyst for either business or governmental agencies. The skill set is in fact applicable to most any industry or career field that relies on the processing of information to make more informed decisions. The program educates you to become a professional data scientist/data analyst prepared to support strategic decision-making with actionable, understandable competitive intelligence.
Graduates of the Master of Science in Data Science graduate program will be able to:
- Assess, evaluate and respond to decision-maker needs and requirements.
- Collect, clean, store and query data from a variety of private and public data sources.
- Apply appropriate analytic techniques to provide estimates that support decision-making and action.
- Communicate actionable information and findings in easy-to-understand written, oral, and visual formats.
In addition to core coursework focused on managing data and intelligence, machine learning and some programming, students will have the opportunity to explore with 12 credits of elective course work in topics such as app development, “Big Data” tools, cyber threat analysis and social media analysis.
Qualifications/expertise after completing the program
Alumni of the Ridge Collage at Mercyhurst University enjoy strong job placement after graduation, with rates of placement significantly above national placement averages. Our more than 1,000 alumni of the intelligence programs at Mercyhurst work in a wide range of fields and for a wide range of organizations.
Our newest program, Data Science, was created to meet the high demand for data professionals with the skill set to fill the more technology-related intelligence positions available worldwide. We anticipate placing students in many of the same organizations at which our applied intelligence graduates have established careers, including a diverse set of global corporations and international NGOs. A small sample includes: Booz Allen Hamilton, Northrop Grumman, JP Morgan Chase, Johnson & Johnson, Nike, Disney, Wells Fargo, Procter & Gamble, Pricewaterhouse Coopers, in addition to many others.
To be considered for admission into the Ridge College's Applied Intelligence master's degree program, applicants must:
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
- International students from countries where English is not a native language must submit an official score report from the TOEFL (minimum score of 79) or IELTS (minimum score of 6.5) examination.
- Complete the appropriate graduate application.
- Submit official transcripts (in English) of all previously completed undergraduate and graduate course work.
- Submit a current resume.
- Submit a personal statement discussing both personal and professional goals.
- Submit the results of the Graduate Management Admission Test* (GMAT) or Graduate Record Exam (GRE). GRE scores more than five years old will not be accepted.
- Arrange for the submission of three (3) letters of reference.
The Office of Graduate & Continuing Education at Mercyhurst University reviews applications for this program on a rolling basis, meaning we can quickly communicate an admissions decision to you. However, applications are reviewed by an admissions committee ONLY after ALL application materials are received, so submit supplemental items as soon as possible when applying. There is a priority application deadline of March 31. International applicants should submit their application no later than June 1.